Is the Microsoft Authenticator App Safe to Use?

My Frustrating Experience with Microsoft Security:

I've had a private Microsoft account for Xbox gaming, and I've been redeeming rewards and gift cards without any issues for years.

However, when I tried to redeem a Sea of Thieves reward on Bing Rewards, I was asked to verify my account with a phone number for the first time. This is surprising since my account didn't have a phone number attached, and I've been able to log in and redeem rewards without one.

I use a passwordless account with Microsoft Authenticator, which I thought was secure. But apparently, it's not secure enough for Bing Rewards.

The problem is that I have a business account that uses my mobile phone number, and I can't use the same number for both accounts. I don't have a landline, and I don't want to mix my business and gaming accounts.

My only option is to add a friend's phone number, which means my Bing Rewards redemption security relies on someone else's phone number. This doesn't make sense, especially since I have a passwordless Microsoft account with Microsoft Authenticator.

I've already contacted Bing Rewards, and they told me I need to add a phone number for verification. I explained my situation, but they didn't offer an alternative. It seems like Microsoft doesn't care about security and verification if I need to add a phone number for a Sea of Thieves reward but not for anything else.

Before redeeming, I logged out, cleared my cache, and logged back in with my passwordless account, which was freshly authenticated through Microsoft Authenticator. But I still need to add a phone number. The irony is that I need to authenticate myself to log into my Microsoft account to add a phone number to authenticate myself? 🤔

Hi There,

Sorry to hear you’re having a frustrating experience with Microsoft security. I understand your concerns about using a phone number for verification, especially when you have a passwordless account with Microsoft Authenticator.

Firstly, let me tell you that Microsoft Authenticator is a secure app. It uses multi-factor authentication, which is a robust way to protect your account. The fact that you’re using a passwordless account with the Authenticator means your account is already more secure than a traditional password-based account.

The issue seems to be with the specific requirement for a phone number verification on Bing Rewards. It appears to be a separate security measure that’s not directly related to your passwordless account. Here’s a possible solution for you:

1. Create an alternative authentication method: You can add an alternative verification method, like an authenticator app or a code sent to an email address, to your Microsoft account. This way, you won’t have to rely on a friend’s phone number. Here’s how you can do this:

Adding an alternative verification method:

1. 1. Go to the Microsoft account sign-in page and sign in with your passwordless account using Microsoft Authenticator.

2. 2. Once logged in, click on your profile picture/icon in the top right corner.

3. 3. Select “Security info” from the dropdown menu.

4. 4. Click on “Update info.”

5. 5. Add a new method of verification, such as “Authenticator app” or “Email.”

6. Contact Microsoft Support: Reach out to Microsoft Support again and explain the alternative verification method you added. They may be able to help you use this method for Bing Rewards verification. Be prepared to provide detailed information about your setup and the current issue you’re facing.

Based on your experience, it seems like Bing Rewards has a specific requirement for a phone number, which might not be directly related to your passwordless account. Microsoft Authenticator is a secure way to manage your account, but it’s not automatically linked to all services and features across Microsoft platforms.

I hope this helps you find a solution to your problem. Keep me posted if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Cheers,
[Your UserHandle]