How to Log Back In to My PC

After entering my password to unlock my PC, I'm getting an "incorrect password" error. Despite trying multiple times, it won't accept it. I recently changed my password and I'm certain I haven't forgotten it. This is frustrating because I urgently need access to my computer due to a job opportunity.

Hey there, I totally get how frustrating it can be when you’re certain about your password but it still won’t work. Given you recently changed your password, there are a few possibilities and potential solutions:

Double-check your password

Make sure you’re using the correct capitalization, as passwords are case-sensitive. Also, confirm that your caps lock isn’t accidentally on. Sometimes, this simple mistake can cause a lot of trouble.

Try the password in a different field

Open Microsoft Edge and try logging into a website or service (like Outlook, for example) where you’ve used the same new password. If you can log in successfully there, it might be an issue specific to your Windows login.

Ensure the correct username

Double-check that your username is correct and hasn’t been accidentally changed. You can check this by going to the Windows sign-in screen and clicking on “Forgot password.” It will show you your username.

Disable any biometric logins (if enabled)

If you have fingerprint or facial recognition login set up, try disabling it temporarily. Sometimes, these features can interfere with password login. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and toggle off any biometric login methods.

Try a password reset

If you’re 100% certain about your new password but it still won’t work, you might need to reset it. Go to the Windows sign-in screen, click “Forgot password,” and follow the steps to reset your password. Make sure you have your recovery information ready, like your Microsoft account credentials (if linked) or security questions.

Physical keyboard vs. on-screen keyboard

If you’re using a touchscreen or tablet, try switching to a physical keyboard or vice versa. Sometimes, an issue with the on-screen keyboard can cause problems.

Reboot and try again

Occasionally, a simple reboot can resolve weird login issues. Save this as a last resort, but if all else fails, try restarting your PC and then attempt to log in again.

If none of these suggestions work for you, you might want to consider seeking additional support from Microsoft or an authorized Windows support center. Good luck with your job opportunity, and I hope you get sorted out soon