Games Freeze or Crash Without Any Error Messages

Whenever I play games on my PC, it crashes. Specifically, when I play FH4 and FH5, it freezes for a few seconds before crashing, and sometimes a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) appears.

At first, I thought the issue was with one particular game, Bodycam, which showed a "fatal error" message. However, I soon realized that all games were crashing without any error messages.

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps:

• Updating and clean installing GPU drivers, ensuring Windows is up to date.

• Updating BIOS and resetting via CMOS.

• Reinstalling Windows.

• Disabling XMP.

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the games.

• Running the Windows driver stress test.

• Running Memtest86 (which showed no issues).

Despite having a powerful laptop with an RTX 4080, I9 13900HX, and 32GB of memory, I'm still experiencing these issues. If anyone knows how to resolve this, please let me know!

Hey there, sorry to hear that your gaming experience is being ruined by these crashes. You’ve already done some great troubleshooting, so let’s dive deeper to try and find the root cause.

First, I want to highlight a few things that caught my attention:

• You mentioned a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) occasionally appears. This is crucial, as it indicates a system-level issue rather than a game-specific problem.
  • You’ve tried reinstalling Windows, which is a great step, but the issue persists.
  • Your system specs are impressive, so we can rule out lack of power as the culprit.

Here are some additional steps to help us narrow down the issue:

Temperature Check

1. Download and install HWiNFO, a popular system monitoring tool.
  2. Run HWiNFO and monitor your system temperatures, especially the GPU and CPU, while gaming.
  3. Check if your temperatures are spiking or reaching critical levels during gameplay.

System File Checker and DISM

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
  2. Run the following command: sfc /scannow (System File Checker). This will scan and repair any corrupted system files.
  3. Once the SFC scan is complete, run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (Deployment Image Servicing and Management). This will help fix any corrupted system images.

Event Viewer Analysis

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type eventvwr and press Enter to open Event Viewer.
  3. In the Event Viewer, navigate to Windows Logs > System.
  4. Look for any errors or warnings around the time your games crashed. Take note of the event IDs and descriptions.

Driver Verifier

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
  2. Run the following command: verifier (Driver Verifier).
  3. Enable Driver Verifier for all drivers and restart your system.
  4. This will help us identify if a specific driver is causing the crashes.

Next Steps

Once you’ve completed these steps, report back with your findings. If you’re still experiencing crashes, we can try some additional troubleshooting or explore other potential causes, such as:

• Overheating issues
  • Power management settings
  • Incompatible drivers or software
  • BIOS or firmware issues

Let’s work together to get your gaming experience back on track