Full-Screen Microsoft Ad Wont Go Away - Help!

A full-screen ad is taking over my PC and I can't do anything else.

I tried calling for help, but the automated menu didn't let me speak to a live person. It sent me to a website instead. Both the phone service and the website have been no help in getting rid of the ad that's blocking my screen. Why do I get stuck with an ad that takes over my whole screen, and my only options are to delay it or go along with it?

Hey there, sorry to hear you’re stuck with that super annoying full-screen ad on Microsoft Edge.

First, let’s get that ad out of your way.

1. Force Close Microsoft Edge: Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously to open Task Manager. In Task Manager, find the Microsoft Edge process, right-click on it, and choose End Task. This will force close Microsoft Edge, which should remove the ad from your screen.

2. Clear Browser Data: Once you’ve closed Microsoft Edge, reopen it and press Ctrl + Shift + Delete. This will open the browser’s Privacy and security section. Click on Choose what to clear, and make sure Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Site permissions are selected. Then, click Clear now to remove all temporary data and cookies.

3. Disable Full-Screen Ads: Open Microsoft Edge and click on the three dots (⋯) in the top right corner. Select Settings from the dropdown menu. Scroll down to Advanced and toggle off Allow sites to show pop-ups in full screen. This should prevent full-screen ads from appearing in the future.

4. Check for Malware or Adware: It’s possible that your system might have some malware or adware causing these issues. Run a full scan with your antivirus software to detect and remove any malicious software.

5. Reset Microsoft Edge (Optional): If none of the above steps help, you might want to reset Microsoft Edge to its default settings. To do this, go to Settings > Reset settings and toggle on Restore settings to their default values. Be aware that this will remove all extensions, history, and other customizations you’ve made to the browser.

If you’re still having trouble, consider switching to another browser for a while until Microsoft Edge gets sorted out.

Hope this helps, and good luck getting your browser back to normal