Forgot Your Windows Login Password?

My PC won't start and I'm trying to reset it, but it's not recognizing my password. Is this a different password from the one I use for my Microsoft account? If so, how can I retrieve it or use my PIN instead?

No worries, I’ve got you covered.

The password you’re referring to is likely your local Windows password, which is separate from your Microsoft account password. If you’re using a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows, you can try signing in with that password instead. If you’re still having trouble, here are some steps to reset your local Windows password:

1. Try using your Microsoft account password: If you’re using a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows, try entering that password instead of your local Windows password. If that works, you can reset your local Windows password from within Windows.

2. Use your PIN: If you set up a PIN, you can use that to sign in instead. Just click the “Sign-in options” link on the login screen and select “PIN”.

If neither of those work, you can try resetting your local Windows password using a password reset disk or USB drive. Here’s how:

Create a password reset disk or USB drive

1. Use another PC: You’ll need to use another PC with internet access to create a password reset disk or USB drive.

2. Download the Media Creation Tool: Go to the Microsoft website and download the Media Creation Tool.

3. Create a password reset disk or USB drive: Follow the prompts to create a password reset disk or USB drive. You’ll need a blank USB drive with at least 8GB of free space.

Use the password reset disk or USB drive

1. Insert the disk or USB drive: Insert the password reset disk or USB drive into your PC.

2. Restart your PC: Restart your PC and enter the BIOS settings (usually by pressing F2, F12, or Del). Set the USB drive as the first boot device. Save the changes and exit the BIOS settings.

3. Boot from the USB drive: Your PC should now boot from the USB drive. Follow the prompts to reset your local Windows password.

Remember to keep your password reset disk or USB drive in a safe place, as anyone with access to it can reset your Windows password!

I hope that helps Let me know if you have any other questions.