Fixing Microsoft Edge Mobile Freezing and Lag Issues

I've encountered a recurring issue where my browser freezes for a few seconds when I visit certain websites, including wikis, and view specific pages like recent changes. This problem also occurs on other sites. After the freeze, I receive a pop-up notification stating that the browser is not responding, prompting me to either close or wait.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this issue and how I can resolve it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I totally understand how frustrating it can be when your browser freezes, especially when you’re in the middle of something important.

First, let’s try some basic troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the issue:

Step 1: Update Your Browser and System

1. Ensure you’re running the latest version of Microsoft Edge and that your operating system is up to date. Check for any available updates and install them.
  2. The latest updates often include bug fixes and performance improvements that might solve your problem.

Step 2: Disable Hardware Acceleration

1. Open Microsoft Edge.
  2. Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
  3. Select “System and Performance” from the left-hand menu.
  4. Toggle off “Use hardware acceleration when available.”

Hardware acceleration can sometimes cause issues, so turning it off might help.

Step 3: Clear Browsing Data

1. Go to Microsoft Edge’s settings menu.
  2. Select “Privacy, search, and services.”
  3. Click on “Clear browsing data.”
  4. Make sure to select “Cookies and other site data” and “Browsing history.”

Clearing your browsing data can remove any cached issues that might be causing the freezing.

Step 4: Repair Microsoft Edge

1. Press the Windows key + i.
  2. Go to Apps.
  3. Locate Microsoft Edge in the list and click on the three dots.
  4. Select “Repair.”

This might fix any underlying issues with the browser.

Step 5: Disable Extensions

1. Open Microsoft Edge.
  2. Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
  3. Select “Extensions.”
  4. Disable all extensions and see if the freezing stops.

If the issue goes away, you might have an extension causing the problem. You can enable them one by one to identify which one is causing the issue.

If none of these steps work, you might want to consider reinstalling Microsoft Edge or switching to a different browser.