Fixing DISM Error 0x80040154: Class Not Registered

I’m having trouble installing Windows 11 23H2 update KB5039212, which keeps failing to download. At the same time, I’ve encountered an issue in Excel where the alt-F8 shortcut no longer brings up a list of available macros.

I initially reported the Excel problem, but was directed to seek help from Windows support due to the error code 0x80040154. Here’s what happened:

I posted about the Excel issue, mentioning that I couldn’t use alt-F8 to bring up a list of macros, and also mentioned the Windows update problem. A moderator suggested I run a system file check (SFC) to repair system files.

I attempted to do so, but received an error message with code 0x80040154. The moderator then advised me to seek help from the Windows forum, as the issue seemed to be related to Windows rather than Excel.

Can anyone provide guidance on how to resolve this issue?

Hey, I’m here to help you troubleshoot the DISM error 0x80040154 preventing you from installing the Windows 11 23H2 update and fixed the alt-F8 macro issues in Excel. Since you encountered 0x80040154 errors while running the System File Checker (SFC) tool and DISM, let’s tackle those issues first.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Enable Windows Modules Installer:
    Ensure the “Windows Modules Installer” service is not disabled. Open Services by typing “services” in the Windows search bar. Find and ensure the service is running and set to “Manual” startup type if disabled.

2. Run DISM Commands:
    Execute DISM commands to clean up image issues:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Run SFC Commands:
    Run SFC to repair corrupted system files:

sfc /scannow

4. Check and Update Windows Services:
    Ensure the following Windows services are running:

• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
    • Cryptographic Services
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Modules Installer
  5. Try DISM Again:
    Once you’ve completed the above steps, attempt running DISM again to see if the issue is resolved.

6. Excel Troubleshooting:
    For Excel-specific issues, you can try reinstalling or checking if any other add-ins are interfering.

Additional Tips

• Disable Antivirus Temporarily:
    Some antivirus software might interfere with DISM and SFC operations. Try disabling your antivirus (in your case, Norton Plus) while running these tools.

• Verify System File Integrity:
    If issues persist, you may need to perform a more detailed system file integrity check and repair.

• Clean Boot and Isolate Issues:
    Perform a clean boot to isolate any other potential software conflicts causing the issue.

If none of these steps help resolve the issues, it might be worth considering a System Restore or a full system reset, but I’d advise against that until we’ve rule out all other solutions.