Family Subscription Wont Activate on Mac

I recently purchased a new computer and attempted to install Office. However, when I try to install Office, a message appears stating that my license cannot be used on this device.

I have a Microsoft 365 Family Subscription. Since I didn't sign out of my previous device before giving it away, using the license removal tool on my new computer isn't an option. Is it possible to sign out of all devices and start from scratch on each one?

I've spent the last 2 hours trying to resolve this issue, but I keep getting stuck in a loop. The website requires me to log in every time I open a new page, which is extremely frustrating.

Thank you

Hey there!

I totally get it, dealing with activation issues can be super frustrating. Let’s get you sorted out!

First, you’re on the right track thinking about signing out of all devices. That’s exactly what you need to do. Here’s how:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account:
    Head to the Microsoft account sign-in page. Make sure you use the same email and password associated with your Microsoft 365 Family Subscription. If you have trouble signing in, clear your browser cache or try a different browser.
  2. Manage your devices:
    After signing in, navigate to the Devices section. You should see all devices associated with your subscription. You can find this by clicking on your profile picture (top right corner) and selecting “Account.” Then, scroll down to “Devices” and click on “Manage”.
  3. Sign out of all devices:
    On the Devices page, you’ll see a list of all devices connected to your account. Click the “Sign out” button next to each device. This will remove the device from your account. If you’re not sure which device is the old one, just sign out of all of them.
  4. Deactivate Office on the old device (optional but recommended):
    If you still have access to the old device, open any Office app, go to File > Account, and sign out. This will ensure the license is fully released.

Now that you’ve cleaned up your devices, let’s get Office installed on your new Mac:

1. Download and install Office:
    Visit the Office download page, sign in with your Microsoft account, and download the installer. Follow the installation instructions to get Office up and running.
  2. Activate Office:
    Once installed, open any Office app, and you should be prompted to sign in with your Microsoft account. This will activate Office on your new device.

A few additional tips to avoid the login loop:

• Use a browser where you’re not logged in to multiple Microsoft accounts (e.g., use a private browsing window).
  • Clear your browser cache before signing in to the Microsoft website.
  • Ensure your browser is updated and compatible with the Microsoft website.

If you’re still having trouble, feel free to reply, and I’ll be happy to help you troubleshoot further.