Failed to Install Windows 10 Update KB5039211 (Error 0x80073701)

Hello, I'm having a major issue with a Windows update. Despite multiple attempts, it won't install. The progress bar gets stuck at 20% for 4-5 minutes, then jumps to 100%, only to display an error message. I've tried running the DSIM and SCANNOW commands in Command Prompt, but nothing seems to work.

The Windows Update troubleshooter has identified some potential issues, including missing or changed security settings, corrupt files, service registration problems, and Windows Update issues.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in resolving this issue. I've tried numerous times, but I'm still unsure what's causing the problem. If you find a solution, please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Hey there, sounds like you’re stuck with that pesky Windows update. I’m here to help you out.

First, let’s tackle the troubleshooting steps you’ve already taken. Running the DSIM and SCANNOW commands are great steps, but it seems like you need to go a bit deeper.

Here are some additional steps to help you resolve this issue:

1. Clean Boot: This will help you identify if any third-party apps or services are causing the update to fail. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
    b. Type msconfig and hit Enter.
    c. Go to the Services tab and check the box for “Hide all Microsoft services.”
    d. Click Disable all.
    e. Open the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
    f. Disable all startup items.
  2. System File Checker (SFC): This tool will scan and repair corrupted system files. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command:
    sfc /scannow

This process might take some time, so be patient.
  3. Windows Update Components Reset: Sometimes, resetting these components can resolve update issues. Follow these steps:
    a. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    b. Run the following commands one by one:
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits

These commands will stop the relevant services, rename the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders, and then restart the services.
  4. Manually Download the Update: You can try downloading the update manually and installing it. Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog, search for KB5039211, and follow the instructions to download and install the update.
  5. System Restore: If none of the above steps work, you can try performing a System Restore to a point when the update was installed successfully. Make sure you have a restore point available before proceeding.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, there might be a more serious problem with your Windows installation, and you might need to take more drastic measures like reinstalling Windows or seeking professional help.

Let me know if you have any questions about these steps or if you need further guidance.