Error occurs when opening drop-down menus in Edge

After a recent update, I'm experiencing an issue with Edge where it freezes and displays an error message when I try to select a drop-down option. I've tried restarting, clearing the cache, and following troubleshooting steps, but the problem persists. Could this be related to the update?

Hey there, fellow Edge user!

Sorry to hear that you’re running into some trouble with drop-down menus after the recent update. Before we dive deeper, let’s try a few more steps to troubleshoot the issue. Sometimes, these simple solutions can resolve the problem.

1. Disable extensions

Extensions can sometimes interfere with browser functionality. Try disabling all extensions one by one to see if any particular extension is causing the issue.

1. Open Microsoft Edge.
  2. Click the three dots at the top right corner.
  3. Click Extensions.
  4. Toggle off each extension individually.
  5. Try opening a drop-down menu after disabling each extension.
  6. If the issue resolves, re-enable the extensions one by one to identify which one is causing the problem.

2. Reset browser settings

If the above step doesn’t work, try resetting the browser settings to their default values. This will remove any customizations you’ve made, so you’ll need to set them up again afterward.

1. Open Microsoft Edge.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Scroll down to the “Reset settings” section.
  5. Click “Restore settings to their default values.”
  6. Confirm by clicking “Reset.”

3. Check for updates

It’s possible that the update you mentioned is causing the issue. Ensure you’re running the latest version of Edge.

1. Open Microsoft Edge.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click “About Microsoft Edge.”
  5. If an update is available, click “Update.”
  6. Edge will automatically update to the latest version.

4. Reinstall Edge

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you can try reinstalling Microsoft Edge.

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type msedge --uninstall and press Enter.
  3. Wait for the uninstallation to complete.
  4. Go to the Microsoft Edge download page and download the latest version.
  5. Run the installer and follow the installation prompts.

I hope one of these steps resolves the issue you’re experiencing. If not, feel free to provide more details about the error message you’re seeing, and I can try to offer further assistance.