Edited files in OneDrive are deleted and replaced with original versions after saving changes

After modifying a file in OneDrive and saving it, the modified file is temporarily deleted and the original file is saved again.

Hey there, sounds like you’re experiencing some frustrating behavior with OneDrive and file saving.

Here’s a possible explanation and a few potential solutions to help you resolve the issue:

The Possible Culprit: Sync Issues

OneDrive syncs your files across devices. Sometimes, sync issues can cause files to revert to their original versions. This might happen if your device is not synced properly or if there are conflicts between different versions of the file.

Solution 1: Check Your OneDrive Sync

1. Open the OneDrive app on your device.
  2. Look for the sync status.
  3. If it’s not synced or shows an error, try restarting the OneDrive app or your device.
  4. Ensure you have a stable internet connection.
  5. Wait for the sync to complete.

Solution 2: File Checkout and Checkin

1. Open the file you want to edit in Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel).
  2. Go to File > Info > Manage Versions.
  3. Click Checkout.
  4. Make your changes to the file.
  5. Save the file.
  6. Go back to the Manage Versions section.
  7. Click Checkin.
  8. Select the “Keep the checkout” option.

Solution 3: Disable and Re-enable OneDrive Sync

1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in your system tray.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Uncheck the box next to “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” and “Sync files and folder.”
  4. Click OK.
  5. Wait for a minute.
  6. Enable the sync again by checking the boxes.

Additional Tips

• Avoid editing files in multiple locations or devices simultaneously to prevent version conflicts.
  • Regularly review your file versions to ensure you’re working with the latest changes.

Give these solutions a shot and see if your issue gets resolved. If you’re still stuck, feel free to provide more details, and I’ll do my best to help you out