Edge Keeps Enabling Notifications: Why Does It Override My Settings?

Why does Edge keep enabling notifications by itself, even after I've disabled them all?

Edge can be pretty frustrating sometimes. If you’re like me, you probably hate it when a browser decides it knows better than you do. So, let’s get to the bottom of this pesky notification issue.

First off, it’s essential to understand that there are a few possible reasons why Edge keeps enabling notifications despite your settings. Here are the top culprits:

1. Website permissions: Some websites might be overriding your notification settings. Check your website permissions by following these steps:

1. Open Edge and go to the Settings menu (three dots in the top right corner).
    2. Click on ‘Cookies and site permissions.’
    3. Scroll down to the ‘Notifications’ section.
    4. Find the problematic website and toggle the switch to ‘Block.’
  2. System settings: It’s possible that your Windows system settings are influencing Edge’s behavior. Ensure that your system notification settings are set to your preferences:

1. Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    2. Navigate to ‘System’ > ‘Notifications & Actions.’
    3. Check if the slider is set to ‘Off’ or adjust it as needed.
  3. Extension interference: A malicious or overzealous extension might be causing the issue. Review your extensions and disable any suspicious ones:

1. Open Edge and go to the Settings menu.
    2. Click on ‘Extensions.’
    3. Review the list and toggle off any extensions you don’t need.

If none of these steps solve the problem, you might want to consider resetting Edge to its default settings. Please note that this will remove all your extensions and browsing data, so use it as a last resort:

1. Open Edge and go to the Settings menu.
  2. Scroll down to ‘Advanced.’
  3. Click on ‘Reset settings to their default values.’

Resetting should clear out any misconfigured settings. If the issue persists after trying these steps, there might be a more significant problem at play, and I’d recommend checking for updates or seeking help from Microsoft support.

Hope this helps, and happy browsing (without annoying notifications)