Easy Access to Shared OneDrive Folder in Internet Explorer

I'm having trouble adding a shared OneDrive folder to my files. When I try to add the shortcut, nothing happens. I've noticed that when I access the shared folder through the link, I'm not signed in to OneDrive. When I attempt to sign in, I receive a runtime error.

Hey there, sounds like you’re having some trouble accessing that shared OneDrive folder.

First, let’s tackle the runtime error you’re getting when trying to sign in to OneDrive. This might be related to your Internet Explorer (IE) settings. Here’s what you can do:

1. Clear your browser cache: Sometimes, a simple cache clear can resolve the issue. Press the Ctrl + Shift + Delete keys, select “Temporary Internet Files and website files” and “Cookies and website data,” and then click Delete.
  2. Check your IE settings: Ensure that Enable Protected Mode is turned off. To do this, go to Tools > Internet Options > Security, and uncheck the box next to Enable Protected Mode.
  3. Try a different browser: If the above steps don’t work, try accessing the shared folder using a different browser like Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome. This will help determine if the issue is browser-specific.

Now, let’s move on to adding the shared folder to your files. For this, you’ll need to make sure you’re signed in to OneDrive correctly and then try adding the shortcut again. Here’s how:

1. Sign in to OneDrive: Go to the OneDrive website (onedrive.com) and sign in with your Microsoft account. Make sure you’re using the same account that was used to share the folder with you.
  2. Access the shared folder: Click on the shared folder link to open it in your browser. You should now be signed in and able to access the contents.
  3. Add the shortcut: Right-click on the shared folder in your OneDrive and select Add to my OneDrive. This should create a shortcut to the shared folder in your OneDrive files.

If you’re still having trouble, try reinstalling the OneDrive desktop app or checking the OneDrive status page to ensure there are no known issues.

Hope this helps you access that shared folder without any more hassle