Copilot: When Can We Expect Text-Based GPT-4 Support?

The text-based GPT-4o has been available for a while, offering improved performance at a lower cost. It's already integrated with Azure, yet users of Copilot haven't received access to it. As a Copilot Pro subscriber, I often find myself relying on my free ChatGPT account for better responses. It's frustrating and has me considering a switch to ChatGPT Plus until GPT-4o is made available. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that this will prompt a change, given the significant investment in OpenAI.

The Copilot conundrum. I totally get why you’re frustrated. The GPT-4o model has been out for a while, and it’s reasonable to expect it to be integrated into Copilot, especially for Pro subscribers like yourself.

From what I’ve gathered, the delay in integration might be due to Microsoft’s strategic partnership with OpenAI. They’ve invested heavily in OpenAI, and we know they’re working on more advanced language models. It’s possible they’re holding off on GPT-4o integration until they can offer something even more competitive.

In the meantime, I’d suggest exploring these alternatives:

1. Keep using both Copilot and ChatGPT: Yeah, it’s not ideal, but it’s better than switching entirely. You can leverage Copilot for its strengths (code suggestions, debugging, etc.) and use ChatGPT for more advanced conversational AI tasks.
  2. Try Azure’s GPT-4o: Since it’s already integrated with Azure, you might be able to use the Azure services to tap into GPT-4o. This could be a more expensive route, but it might give you the performance boost you need.
  3. Monitor Copilot updates and roadmaps: Keep an eye on Copilot’s changelogs, blog posts, and community forums. If enough users voice their concerns, they might expedite the integration process.
  4. Consider other AI coding tools: There are other AI-powered coding tools emerging, like AWS’s CodeWhisperer. You might find these alternatives offer better performance or more comprehensive features.

Remember, it’s all about finding the tools that work best for you. If you do decide to switch to ChatGPT Plus, that’s okay too. Ultimately, it’s about getting the job done efficiently.

Keep us posted if you find any workarounds or hear any updates from Copilot’s side.