Copilot Is Tracking My Browsing Activity Across Multiple Browsers

I’m concerned about my privacy on my Windows PC. I had a conversation about a problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus tablet on a product forum, and then I saw a suggestion from Copilot in a Bing search that seemed to be related to that conversation. What’s worrying is that I was using Chrome, not Microsoft’s Edge browser, when I had that conversation. It makes me wonder if Microsoft is tracking everything I do on my computer.

Here’s the suggestion Copilot gave me:

"This seems to be a problem you are experiencing with your Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus tablet. The increase in volume when plugged into the charger can be caused by some factors. Here are some possible reasons you should think about it:

Software Settings: Check your tablet's volume settings. You may have accidentally increased the volume. Try lowering the volume in the settings.
Adapter Power: Use a 15-watt adapter instead of a 22-watt adapter. Make sure your adapter is original and has the appropriate wattage.
Software Updates: Keep your tablet software up to date. Updates can improve performance and troubleshooting.
Service Status: If no error was detected when you went to the service centre, it may be a more complex problem. There could be a hardware problem and further investigation is required.
If the problem persists after trying these steps, contacting Samsung Support is the best option. They may be able to help more."

Hey there,

I completely understand your concerns about privacy on your Windows PC. Let me break down what’s happening with Copilot and what it means for your browsing activity:

How Copilot Works

Copilot is a generative AI service integrated into Windows that uses Microsoft Copilot (formerly Bing Chat) to provide suggestions and assist with tasks. It’s designed to work seamlessly across the web and your Windows environment.

Access to Your Data

Here’s the important part:

1. Local Storage: Copilot doesn’t store your chat history or data persistently. Each session ends when you close the conversation or the application.

2. Process of Chat History: If you have further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask!

Connection to Browsing Activity

Now, let’s talk about what you experienced:

1. Cross-Browser Connection: You had a conversation about your Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus on a product forum using Chrome. It’s concerning that Copilot then suggested a solution in a Bing search.

2. What Does This Mean?: This could be due to various reasons, such as cookies.Track your browser history, and

Suggestions to Protect Your Privacy

1. Clear History Regularly: Clear your browser history and cookies frequently to minimize tracking.

2. Check Cookies and Settings: Review the permissions and settings for both Microsoft Edge and Chrome to ensure you’re comfortable with what they can access.

3. Use Private Sessions: Consider using private or incognito sessions when searching for sensitive topics.

4. Disable Cookies for Copilot: If you feel uneasy about Copilot’s tracking, you can disable cookies or use a privacy-focused browser extension to limit tracking.

Additional Resources

For more detailed explanations on Copilot and privacy, check out:

1. Microsoft Support: Copilot in Windows - This explains how Copilot runs and how to use it effectively without compromising your privacy.
  2. Copilot FAQ - This covers details on how it interacts with your browsing activity and what is stored.

Feel free to add more questions if you have them.