Converting Browser Files to Excel Files in Excel 365

I'm having an issue where my Excel files are displaying the Microsoft Edge browser icon instead of the Excel icon. Additionally, they can only be opened through the Edge browser extension. Does anyone know how to change this so that my Excel files show the correct icon and open directly in Excel?

If your Excel files are showing the Microsoft Edge icon instead of the Excel icon and can only be opened through the Edge browser extension, this may be due to a file association conflict. To change this, you need to adjust the file associations in Windows and make sure the default program for opening .xls files is set to Microsoft Excel. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Right-click on an Excel file with the incorrect icon.

2. Click Properties.

3. In the General tab, look for the Opens with section and click the Change button.

4. Browse to the location where Microsoft Office Excel 365 is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE).

5. Select Microsoft Office Excel and click OK.

6. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.

7. Repeat the process for any other Excel file types you’d like to fix, such as .xlsx or .xlsm.

This change should ensure your Excel files open directly in Excel 365 rather than through the Edge browser extension.