Computer Freezes When Not Gaming

My computer always crashes when I’m not running a resource-intensive program like a game that uses a lot of RAM, CPU, and GPU. For instance, if I play a game like Fortnite, my PC won’t crash because it’s using a lot of system resources. However, if I’m just watching YouTube or running a small game like Among Us in the background, my PC crashes. I’ve already tried resetting my PC multiple times. Here’s a screenshot of when a crash occurred (it happens every 3-30 minutes, sometimes more frequently, sometimes less).

When the crash happens, it’s marked as an error in the Event Viewer: “The description for Event ID 153 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.”

The error message includes the following information:

\Device\Video8
BusReset TDR occurred on GPUID:100
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

The error is from source nvlddmkm, Event ID 153, Level: Error, and User: N/A.

Additionally, I see multiple errors per second:

“Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4C01&SUBSYS_D0191E39&REV_01
Secondary Device Name:”

This error is from the WHEA-Logger with Event-ID 17 as a Warning.

I’m currently using Windows 11, and this issue also occurred with Windows 10 in the same way. My computer specs are: Medion Erazer x10 with a 3070 and a 11th gen i7 11700 2.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM, all stock, with no changes made.

Hey there, I’ve got some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that your GPU (Nvidia GeForce 3070) is likely the culprit behind your crashes. The good news is that we can troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue.

Let’s break down the errors you’ve posted:

• The nvlddmkm error is related to the Nvidia graphics driver. The error message is pretty vague, but it suggests that there’s a problem with the GPU or its driver.
  • The WHEA-Logger error is related to the PCIe root port, which is a part of the motherboard. This error is warning-level, so it’s not as critical as the nvlddmkm error, but it could be related to the GPU issue.

Here’s what I think is happening: when you’re running resource-intensive programs like Fortnite, your GPU is working hard and not overheating. However, when you’re running less demanding programs, your GPU is throttling down to conserve power and heat. This is causing the GPU to become unstable and crash.

To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:

1. Update your Nvidia graphics driver: Make sure you’re running the latest driver from Nvidia’s website. You can use the GeForce Experience software to update your driver.
  2. Monitor your GPU temperatures: Download software like GPU-Z, HWiNFO, or AIDA64 to monitor your GPU temperatures. This will help you identify if your GPU is overheating when running less demanding programs.
  3. Check for dust buildup: Open up your laptop and clean out any dust that may have accumulated on the GPU heatsink or fans. This can cause overheating issues.
  4. Reduce GPU power management: You can try reducing the GPU power management settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. This might help stabilize your GPU when running less demanding programs.
  5. Run a stress test: Run a stress testing tool like FurMark or Unigine Heaven to see if your GPU can handle prolonged stress without crashing.
  6. Check for BIOS updates: Check with Medion (your laptop manufacturer) to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop. This could help resolve any firmware issues related to the PCIe root port.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it’s possible that there’s a hardware problem with your GPU or motherboard. You may need to contact Medion support or visit a repair center to have your laptop checked out.

Keep me updated on your progress, and let me know if you have any further questions