Clean Install Windows 10 on a Laptop Currently Running Windows 11

Hi!

I'm having trouble with a laptop that's become too slow to use after upgrading to Windows 11, despite meeting the system requirements.

I've created a Windows 10 installation USB drive using the media creation tool on a FAT32 formatted USB drive.

When I run the setup file, it fails with the message "Windows 10 installation has failed" without providing any error codes.

I've checked the BIOS settings and ensured that USB boot is enabled, safe boot is disabled, and the boot drive order is correct.

When I access the boot menu and select the USB drive, the screen flashes and then returns to the boot menu.

I've verified that the USB drive is working correctly, reformatted it twice, and recreated the installation file three times using the media creation tool.

Using advanced startup and selecting the USB drive simply boots the laptop normally.

I'm at a loss for what to do next, as none of the above steps have helped.

I'm extremely frustrated and would greatly appreciate any help in this situation.

Hey there Your frustration is understandable, but don’t worry, I’m here to help you out.

First, let’s rule out some common issues. It’s great that you’ve already checked the BIOS settings, but I want to confirm a few things:

1. Secure Boot: Make sure Secure Boot is disabled in your BIOS settings. This can sometimes interfere with the boot process.
  2. UEFI vs Legacy Boot: Ensure that your BIOS is set to UEFI mode (not Legacy BIOS) and that the USB drive is configured to boot in UEFI mode as well.
  3. USB Drive Format: Although you’ve reformatted the USB drive, try reformatting it again using a tool like Rufus (a reliable USB formatting tool). This will ensure the drive is properly formatted for a UEFI boot.

Now, let’s try a different approach to boot from the USB drive:

1. Boot from the Windows 11 Settings App: Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup Options. Click “Restart now” under “Advanced Startup Settings.” This will reboot your laptop into the Advanced Startup menu.
  2. Select the USB Drive from the Advanced Startup Menu: In the Advanced Startup menu, select “Use a device” and then choose the USB drive from the list. If you don’t see the USB drive, try removing and reinserting it.

If the above steps don’t work, let’s try one more thing:

1. Create a Bootable USB Drive using Rufus: Download Rufus and create a new Windows 10 installation USB drive using the media creation tool. This will ensure the USB drive is properly configured for a UEFI boot.
  2. Try Booting from the New USB Drive: Insert the new USB drive and try booting from it using the same steps as before.

If none of these steps work, it’s possible that there’s a hardware issue or a problem with the laptop’s firmware. You might want to consider contacting the laptop manufacturer’s support or visiting a repair center for further assistance.

Hang in there, and I hope one of these steps helps you successfully install Windows 10