Checking My Windows 11 Version: A Step-by-Step Guide

My Windows 11 system crashed a few months ago. I had a genuine copy of the OS installed, but I forgot which version it was. I tried installing different versions, but this caused BitLocker to lock all my disks and partitions. After another crash, I deleted a partition and reinstalled the OS, but it still didn't automatically detect the product key.

What should I do now? How can I get the OS to detect the product key automatically? Is there a way to find out which version of Windows 11 I had installed before the crash? Additionally, I lost all my Microsoft Office software during the OS installation. Can someone please suggest how to recover that as well? Thank you in advance.

Sorry to hear that you’re going through this frustrating experience.

First, let’s try to retrieve your Windows 11 version. Since you’ve already reinstalled the OS, we’ll have to rely on other methods. You can try the following:

1. Check your Microsoft account: If you were signed in to your Microsoft account before the crash, you might be able to find your Windows 11 version and product key associated with your account. Log in to your Microsoft account on the website, go to the Devices section, and see if your Windows 11 installation is listed. If it is, you should be able to find the version and product key.

2. Look for Windows 11 installation media: If you still have the installation media (USB or DVD) you used to install Windows 11 initially, it might have a label or a file that indicates the version.

Now, let’s address the product key issue. Since you’ve reinstalled the OS, Windows might not be detecting the product key automatically. Here’s what you can do:

1. Try activating Windows manually: Press the Windows key + I to open Settings, then go to Update & Security > Activation. Click on “Change product key” and enter your genuine product key. If you’re not sure what the key is, you can try using a tool like ProduKey to retrieve it.

2. Check for any software conflicts: It’s possible that some software is interfering with the product key detection. Try uninstalling any recently installed software and see if that resolves the issue.

Regarding Microsoft Office, you can try the following:

1. Check your Microsoft account again: If you had Office installed and linked to your Microsoft account, you might be able to find the installation files and product key associated with your account.

2. Look for Office installation files: If you still have the installation files or a backup of your previous system, you might be able to find the Office installation files and reinstall them.

3. Contact Microsoft support: If you’re unable to find the installation files or product key, you can reach out to Microsoft support for assistance. They might be able to help you recover your Office installation.

Lastly, to avoid any future issues with BitLocker, make sure you have the recovery key saved in a secure location. You can find the recovery key in your Microsoft account or in the BitLocker settings.

I hope this helps you get your Windows 11 and Office installations sorted out