Changes to categories dont update instantly in reading pane or message window

I'm using Outlook version 2406 (Build 17726.20108 Click-to-Run) on Windows 11 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3737).

In the past, when I added or removed categories from messages, the changes would update in real-time in the mail list, reading pane, and opened messages.

However, after a recent Office patch update, this functionality broke. Now, category changes no longer update in the reading pane or opened messages, although they still update in the mail list view. The changes only appear if I close and reopen the message.

This issue affects my workflow, as I usually work with an opened message window and navigate to the next message using Ctrl + >.

Hey, there Sorry to hear you’re having issues with categories in Outlook. I’ve dug through the threads to help you out.

First off, your issue sounds similar to another user who reported that categories weren’t updating in real-time, especially in the reading pane and opened messages. This can be frustrating, especially if you’re used to working with categories regularly.

To help you troubleshoot, let’s cover a few potential causes and steps to get your categories updating as they should:

Repair Outlook Installation:

1. Open Control Panel > Programs and Features.
  2. Select Microsoft Office and click “Change.”
  3. This should help if a recent patch caused the issue.

Check Cached Mode:

1. Ensure you’re not in cached mode, as this can lead to issues with category updates. If you are in cached mode, try turning it off and seeing if that fixes the issue.

Safe Mode:

1. Open Outlook in safe mode to disable add-ins that might be causing the problem.
  2. If the issue persists, try turning off add-ins one by one to identify the culprit.

Check for other issues:

• Ensure you’re running the latest version of Outlook and have all updates installed.
  • If it’s a shared mailbox issue, check with others if they’re experiencing the same problem.

If none of these steps solve the issue, feel free to provide more details about your setup and environment. Good luck, and I hope you get back to smoothly categorizing your emails soon