Cant Recover Individual Files with Windows 7 Backup & Recovery

Hello,

I'm seeking help with a work system, so I'll provide general details and answer questions as much as I can.

I'm using Backup & Recover (Windows 7) on a Windows 10 PC to back up three folders containing important data files for an application. When testing the backup and restore, everything seems to restore correctly except for a single .mdb file. This file stores login information for the application, and without it, users can't log in.

Is there a reason why Backup & Restore might not process this single file? Am I missing a specific setting? Everything else appears to be working fine, except for this one file.

Thanks!

Hey there

I’d be happy to help you out with this issue.

First, let’s get one thing clear: Windows 7’s Backup and Restore isn’t exactly designed to work seamlessly with Windows 10. That being said, it’s still possible to make it work, but you might need to tweak some settings.

Here are a few potential reasons why that single .mdb file isn’t being restored:

1. File type exclusion: It’s possible that the Backup and Restore tool is set to exclude certain file types, including .mdb files. You can check the settings to see if this is the case. Go to Backup and Restore, click on “Change settings,” and then click on “Let me choose.” Make sure the .mdb file type is selected for backup.
  2. File location: If the .mdb file is located in a folder that’s not being backed up, that could be the issue. Double-check that the folder containing the .mdb file is included in the backup set.
  3. File size or corruption: If the .mdb file is particularly large or corrupted, Backup and Restore might be skipping it. Try checking the file’s integrity and size to see if that’s the case.
  4. Application-specific issues: Since the .mdb file stores login information for an application, it’s possible that the application itself is causing the issue. You might need to check the application’s settings or logs to see if there’s anything related to the backup/restore process.

To troubleshoot this further, I’d recommend trying the following steps:

1. Check the Backup and Restore logs: Go to the Backup and Restore tool, click on “View backup history,” and then click on “View logs.” See if there are any errors or warnings related to the .mdb file.
  2. Try a manual backup: Instead of relying on the automatic backup, try creating a manual backup of the .mdb file using the Backup and Restore tool. This will help you isolate the issue.
  3. Use a different backup tool: If all else fails, you might want to consider using a different backup tool that’s designed for Windows 10, such as the built-in File History feature or a third-party tool like Acronis or Macrium.

Let me know if any of these suggestions help, or if you have any further questions