Cant open recent document on PC, error says its deleted or unavailable

On my PC, when I try to open a recent document from the Word application, I get an error message saying "this document is either deleted or not currently available." However, I've checked and the document isn't in the Recycle Bin, so it hasn't been deleted. I urgently need to access this document.

Sorry to hear that. This can be super frustrating, especially if it’s an important doc.

I’ll walk you through some steps to help you troubleshoot and recover that file. Don’t worry; we’ll get it sorted!

Step 1: Check your recent files list

First, open Word and click on the “File” tab in the top left corner. Then click on “Open” and look under the “Recent” section. Can you find your document in that list? If it’s there, you might be able to open it directly.

Step 2: Check your File Explorer

Next, head over to File Explorer and navigate to the original folder where you saved the document. Make sure you’re looking in the right location and check if the file is actually there. Sometimes, it might have gotten moved or saved elsewhere. Double-check the file extensions as well to ensure it’s not hidden or named differently.

Step 3: Use Windows Search

If you can’t find it in the original folder or through Word’s recent files, use the Windows Search function to search for the document. Press the Windows + S keys on your keyboard, type the name of your document, and see if it shows up. This might help locate the file if it’s been moved or saved elsewhere on your PC.

Step 4: Check your OneDrive or Cloud Sync

If you have OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or any other cloud storage synced with your PC, log in to your account online and see if the document is there. Sometimes, when you’re connected to the cloud, files can get synced and moved around without your knowledge.

Step 5: System Restore

If none of the above steps work, there’s a possibility that the file got lost during a software update or system change. You can try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a previous point when you had access to the document. Just be aware that this will revert any changes you made after that point, so use it as a last resort.

Step 6: Undelete Software (last resort)

If all else fails, you can use a third-party undelete software to try and recover the file. These tools can scan your hard drive and recover deleted files. Just be cautious when using these tools, as they can sometimes cause more harm than good. Do a thorough research and only use reputable software.

So, give these steps a try and see if you can recover your document. Good luck, and I hope it all works out for you