Cant Open Document: Word Fails in Browser, Both Online and Offline

A shared Word document on OneDrive/Sharepoint has stopped working. The document was uploaded a while back and multiple users access it online from different laptops. The last person to work on it reported that it suddenly wouldn't open on Friday. When I tried to access it on Monday, I got an error message saying it couldn't be opened in the browser and to try the desktop version of Microsoft Word instead. However, even after downloading it, I couldn't open it. The error message suggested checking file permissions, ensuring sufficient memory and disk space, and using the text recovery converter, but none of these solutions worked.

The only potential cause I can think of is that a large picture was inserted into the document, which might have corrupted it.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in resolving this issue, as this is the only updated version of the document.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with that shared Word document. Let’s break down the possible causes and potential solutions.

First, I want to rule out some simple things:

1. File permissions: Double-check that you and the other users have the necessary permissions to edit and access the document. Ensure the document isn’t accidentally set to read-only.
  2. Memory and disk space: Confirm that your system has sufficient memory and disk space. Though unlikely, a lack of resources might prevent the document from opening.

Now, let’s dive deeper:

• Large picture insertion: Your suspicion about the large picture might be correct. Sometimes, large files can corrupt the document. We can try a few things to fix this:

Step-by-Step Troubleshooting

1. Try opening the document in Microsoft Word Online: Go to OneDrive or SharePoint and attempt to open the document directly in the browser. If it doesn’t open, try the next step.
  2. Download the document locally: Download the document to your desktop and try opening it with the desktop version of Microsoft Word. If this fails, proceed to the next step.
  3. Open the document in safe mode: Hold the Ctrl key while opening Microsoft Word. This should launch it in safe mode, which disables add-ins that might be causing the issue.
  4. Check for add-ins: Disable any recently installed or suspicious add-ins in Microsoft Word. Sometimes, these can interfere with document opening.
  5. Use the built-in repair tool: Open Microsoft Word, go to File > Open, and select the problematic document. Click the dropdown arrow next to the Open button and choose Open and Repair. This might fix any internal issues.

If none of these steps work, you can try the following:

• Text Recovery Converter: If the document is severely corrupted, you might be able to recover the text using this tool. You can find it in Microsoft Word under File > Open > Open and Repair.
  • Version history: If you have version history enabled on OneDrive or SharePoint, you can try reverting to a previous version of the document.
  • Microsoft Support: If all else fails, you can reach out to Microsoft Support for further assistance.

Let me know if any of these steps help you resolve the issue.