Cant Launch File Explorer

Whenever I try to launch the file explorer, my screen flickers and a brief error message pops up, mentioning a memory issue. Unfortunately, it disappears too quickly for me to read or capture it.

Hey, that sounds frustrating. Let’s try to troubleshoot and fix the issue with your File Explorer. Here’s a step-by-step approach to help you resolve the memory issue:

1. Event Viewer: Let’s see if we can get more details about the error message. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type eventvwr and press Enter. In the Event Viewer, navigate to Windows Logs > System. Look for errors around the time you tried to open File Explorer. You might find an error that corresponds to the brief message you saw.

2. System File Checker: It’s possible that there’s a corrupted system file causing the issue. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)). Run the following command: sfc /scannow. This will scan and repair any corrupted system files.

3. Disable Add-ons: Sometimes, a malfunctioning add-on can cause issues with File Explorer. Press the Windows + R keys, type explorer /e,::{UTF8:9369832B-28B6-11d1-B35A-00C04FC30299} and press Enter. In the File Explorer Options window, navigate to View > Options > Change folder and search options. Click on the View tab, and under Advanced settings, uncheck the box that says “Launch folder windows in a separate process”. Also, try disabling any third-party add-ons likeDropbox, etc., if you have them installed.

4. Clear File Explorer History: Clearing File Explorer’s history and recent files sometimes resolves issues. Open the File Explorer, right-click on Quick access, and select Options. In the Folder Options, click on the Clear button next to “Clear File Explorer history”. Then, click OK.

5. Boot in Safe Mode: If none of the above steps work, let’s try booting your system in Safe Mode. This will disable all third-party applications and drivers. To do this, press the Windows + R keys, type msconfig and press Enter. In the System Configuration window, navigate to the Boot tab. Check the box that says “Safe boot” and select “Minimal”. Restart your system. If File Explorer works in Safe Mode, it might point to a conflict with an installed software or driver.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, feel free to provide more details, and I can help you further.