Can I install 32-bit Office 365 on a Mac with an M1 chip?

Hello,

I'm trying to use the 32-bit version of Office 365 to open certain Excel files, but I'm having trouble making it work.

I considered installing an older Windows version, like Windows 10, on Parallels, but is there a way to run Office 365 32-bit without needing Windows?

Thanks

Hey,

Sorry to break it to you, but you won’t be able to run 32-bit Office 365 natively on your Mac with an M1 chip. The M1 chip, being based on ARM architecture, does not support 32-bit applications. Office 2016, which was the last 32-bit version, is also no longer supported by Microsoft.

However, there are alternatives to help you access those certain Excel files:

1. Upgrade to a compatible version:

• If you have Microsoft 365 or Office 2021, you can directly download and install the 64-bit version from the Mac App Store or the Microsoft website. This will ensure native support on your M1 Mac.
  2. Use Rosetta 2 translation:

• If you must use Office 2016 or older, you can try running it under Rosetta 2. This will emulate the Intel architecture, but it’s not recommended for the best experience.
  3. Install Windows via Parallels:

• If you really need to use the 32-bit version of Office, you can install Windows 10 or later on Parallels and run the 32-bit Office inside that virtual environment. This way, you won’t need to dual-boot, but you’ll need a Windows license and Parallels software.
  4. Virtual machine or UTM:

• Another option is to use a virtual machine software like UTM (Universal Turing Machine) to run an older macOS version that supports 32-bit applications. This is more of a workaround, but it might help for retro gaming or legacy purposes.

Remember that going the virtual machine route means you’ll need a compatible macOS version and the necessary licenses.

Hope this helps you figure out the best way to access those Excel files!

Cheers