C Drive Repair and Scan Stuck at 100% Complete

When I turn on my PC, it gets stuck on a screen that says "Scanning and repairing drive C: 100% complete", but it doesn't move forward.

Hey there!

That’s super frustrating, I feel you. Don’t worry, I’ve got some steps to help you troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue.

First, let’s try to understand what’s going on. The “Scanning and repairing drive C:” message usually appears when Windows detects a problem with the file system or disk errors on the C: drive. It’s trying to fix the issues, but in your case, it’s getting stuck.

Here are some steps to help you resolve the issue:

1. Force Restart: Try pressing the power button on your PC to shut it down. Wait for 30 seconds, then press the power button again to turn it back on. This might help the process complete or get unstuck.

If that doesn’t work, let’s try some more advanced troubleshooting:

1. Check for disk errors: You can do this from the Command Prompt. To access it, turn on your PC and immediately start tapping the F8 key. This should bring up the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Once you’re in the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

chkdsk C: /f /r

This will scan the C: drive for errors and try to fix them.

1. Run a System File Checker (SFC) scan: This scan checks for corrupted system files and replaces them with healthy ones. To run an SFC scan, follow these steps:

a. Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt (like in step 2).
b. Type the following command and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

c. Let the scan complete. It might take some time.

1. Disable Fast Startup: Sometimes, Fast Startup can cause issues with the scanning and repairing process. To disable it, follow these steps:

a. Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt (like in step 2).
b. Type the following command and press Enter:

powercfg /h off

c. Restart your PC normally.

1. Perform a clean boot: This will help you identify if any third-party software is causing the issue. To perform a clean boot, follow these steps:

a. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
b. Type msconfig and press Enter.
c. In the System Configuration window, go to the Services tab.
d. Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services.
e. Click Disable all.
f. Restart your PC normally.

If none of these steps help, you might want to consider seeking further assistance from Microsoft Support or a Windows forum.

I hope one of these steps helps you resolve the issue and get your PC up and running smoothly