Building and Upgrading My Custom PC

I'm trying to upgrade my custom-built PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but I'm running into an issue. My settings say my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the upgrade. I've checked the requirements, fixed the problem, and even run the PC Health Check tool, which says I'm good to go and provides a link to get Windows 11. But despite fixing the issue, my computer still says it doesn't meet the requirements. What's going on?

I feel your frustration The Windows 11 upgrade process can be a bit wonky at times. Don’t worry, I’m here to help you troubleshoot the issue.

First, let’s break down what’s happening. The PC Health Check tool is a separate entity from the Windows Update process, so even if the tool says you’re good to go, it doesn’t necessarily mean Windows Update will agree. There are a few possible reasons why you’re still getting the “doesn’t meet minimum requirements” error:

1. Windows Update cache: Sometimes, Windows Update can get stuck with an outdated cache that prevents it from recognizing the changes you’ve made to your system. Try restarting the Windows Update service and clearing the cache. Here’s how:
    1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
    2. Type services.msc and press Enter to open the Services console.
    3. Find the Windows Update service, right-click it, and select Restart.
    4. Open the File Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and delete everything inside the folder.
    5. Restart your PC and check for updates again.
  2. BIOS or UEFI firmware: Ensure your BIOS or UEFI firmware is up to date. Outdated firmware can cause compatibility issues with Windows 11. Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for updates and follow their instructions to update your firmware.
  3. Secure Boot and TPM 2.0: Windows 11 requires Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 to be enabled. Make sure these features are enabled in your BIOS or UEFI settings. The process varies depending on your motherboard, so you might need to consult your manual or online documentation.
  4. Windows 10 version: You need to be running Windows 10 version 2004 or later to upgrade to Windows 11. If you’re running an earlier version, you’ll need to update to a compatible version first.
  5. Other system settings: Double-check that your system meets all the other minimum requirements, including a 64-bit processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a compatible graphics card.

If you’ve already checked all these potential issues and you’re still stuck, you can try using the Media Creation Tool to force the upgrade. This tool will allow you to download the Windows 11 installation media and perform a clean install or in-place upgrade.

Remember to back up your important files and data before attempting the upgrade, just in case something goes wrong.

I hope this helps you troubleshoot the issue and successfully upgrade to Windows 11