Bring Back Ruler to Snipping Tool Top Toolbar

The Ruler feature has been replaced with a shapes icon. Although pressing Ctrl-R toggles the Ruler, is it possible to add it back to the toolbar as a default option?

I totally get where you’re coming from. The Ruler feature is super handy, and having it readily available on the toolbar would be much more convenient.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like Microsoft currently offers an official way to add the Ruler back to the top toolbar by default. However, you can still access it using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-R as you mentioned.

If you’re looking for alternative snipping tools with a built-in Ruler, you might want to consider using third-party apps like Snagit or ShareX. These tools offer more advanced features and customization options compared to the native Snipping Tool.

Here’s a quick rundown of how to use the Snagit Ruler feature if you’re interested:

1. Download and install Snagit from the official website.
  2. Launch Snagit and capture a screenshot using the hotkey (default is Ctrl + Shift + C).
  3. Once you’re in the Snagit editor, click on the “Tools” button in the top-right corner.
  4. Select “Ruler” from the dropdown menu.
  5. This will bring up the Ruler tool, which allows you to measure distances and angles on your screenshot.

Keep in mind that Snagit is a paid tool, but it offers a lot more functionality compared to the native Snipping Tool. If you’re not willing to invest in a third-party app, using the Ctrl-R shortcut in the native Snipping Tool is still the best option.

Let me know if you have any other snipping-related questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with