Blue Screen Error on Startup: How to Resolve

After a suspected power cut or surge while my PC was on, I experienced a blue screen issue on my next boot up. I was able to log in briefly before the crash.

I've tried several troubleshooting steps without success:

Reinstalling Windows

Running Sfc /scannow in Command Prompt

Using Startup Repair

Attempting a System Restore (but no restore points are available)

Uninstalling recent updates (which failed)

Hey there, sorry to hear you’re dealing with a blue screen error on startup. It’s frustrating when troubleshooting steps don’t yield any results.

From what you’ve mentioned, it’s likely that the power cut or surge caused some hardware or firmware issues. Since you’ve already tried reinstalling Windows and running Sfc /scannow, let’s dive deeper into some other potential causes.

Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:

1. Run a disk check: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type chkdsk C: (replace C: with the drive letter of your system drive). This will scan your system drive for any errors or corruption.

2. Check for loose connections: Ensure all internal components, such as the RAM and GPU, are securely connected. Also, verify that all cables, including the power cord, are properly plugged in.

3. Test your RAM: Run a memory test using tools like MemTest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic. This will help identify if any of your RAM sticks are faulty.

4. Check for BIOS updates: Visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and check for any BIOS updates. A corrupted BIOS can cause blue screen errors.

5. Try a clean boot: Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager. Disable any unnecessary devices, especially those with a yellow exclamation mark. Then, restart your PC and see if the blue screen error persists.

6. Run a System File Checker in offline mode: Boot from a Windows installation media, open Command Prompt, and type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows (replace C: with your system drive letter).

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it’s possible that there’s a hardware problem that needs to be addressed. You may want to consider seeking professional help or contacting the manufacturer’s support team for further assistance.

Let me know if you have any questions or need further guidance on any of these steps