Bing is blocking some apps on my laptop - why?

Having trouble accessing my Sky Account due to a block by Bing. Been trying to resolve this for two days, but no luck. Anyone able to assist?

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that Bing is blocking your access to your Sky Account. I’m here to help you figure out why and how to resolve the issue.

First, let’s clarify that Bing is the default search engine for Microsoft Edge. So, it’s likely that the block is coming from Edge itself, not just Bing. Here are a few potential reasons for the block and some steps you can take to try and resolve it:

1. Content restrictions: It’s possible that Edge has enabled content restrictions on your laptop. Check your settings by going to edge://settings/contentRestrictions. If any restrictions are turned on, try disabling them to see if it resolves the issue.

2. SmartScreen Filter: Edge has a built-in filter to protect you from malicious sites. Sometimes, it might block legitimate sites too. You can try disabling it for a specific site or entirely. Go to edge://settings/privacy, and toggle off Microsoft Defender SmartScreen under the Security section.

3. Site permissions: There might be specific permissions that need to be granted to your Sky Account site. Go to edge://settings/sitePermissions, search for your Sky Account site, and ensure that necessary permissions like ‘Cookies and site data’ are allowed.

4. Clear browser data: Sometimes, clearing the browser data can resolve issues like this. Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to open the Clear browsing data window. Select the types of data you want to clear (e.g., browsing history, cookies) and click ‘Clear now’.

5. Check for Edge updates: Make sure your Edge browser is updated to the latest version. Go to edge://settings/help, and click ‘About Microsoft Edge’ to check for updates.

6. Try a different browser: As a temporary solution, try accessing your Sky Account from a different browser (like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) to see if the issue persists. If it doesn’t, then the issue is likely specific to Edge.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might want to consider resetting Edge or seeking further assistance from Microsoft Support or the Sky Account support team.

Hope this helps, and you’re able to access your Sky Account soon