Bing and Copilot Not Working: How to Fix the Issue

I recently cleared my browser history, cookies, and cache on my Windows 10 laptop to resolve the “Hmmm” error when searching. However, this action seems to have signed me out of Bing. Now, on the Start page, the top search bar works only when I enter a web address, not a search term. The “Search the Web” bar below produces the “Hmmm” error, stating that the connection was reset or that www.bing.com closed the connection. Additionally, when I try to use Copilot, I get a “something went wrong” error and am prompted to sign in again, which creates a loop. I have Bing set as my default search engine in Settings. Please help me sign back into Bing and restore search functionality, as well as get Copilot working again.

I see what’s going on here. It seems like clearing your browser history, cookies, and cache sign you out of Bing, which is causing the problems with your search functionality and Copilot. Here’s what you need to do to fix it:

First off, make sure you sign back into your Microsoft account on Bing. Open Bing, click on Sign in, and use your Microsoft account credentials. This will re-authenticate you on Bing and solve the loop of continuous sign-ins for Copilot.

Now, for the search functionality, it’s likely that clearing your cache and cookies reset all your settings, including the default search settings. Ensure that your default search engine in Settings is set back to Bing.

To ensure that Copilot is working, go to the Bing settings and check if Copilot is enabled. If it’s not, simply switch it on again. Here are additional steps to troubleshoot Copilot issues if needed:

1. Try using Microsoft Edge:

• If you’re not using Edge, give it a try.
    • If you’re already on Edge, try Copilot in Incognito mode.
  2. Clear Browser Data Again:

• Clear your browser cache and cookies once more to ensure any corrupt data is removed.
  3. Use the Copilot Mobile App:

• Sometimes, issues persist in web browsers, so try using the Copilot mobile app on your smartphone or tablet for a more stable experience.
  4. Restart Your Device:

• Power off your laptop for a few minutes and then power it back on to refresh the system and potentially clear any temporary glitches that could be interfering with Copilot.
  5. Contact Microsoft Support:

• If none of these steps help, you can reach out to Microsoft support for specific guidance based on your PC configuration.

By following these steps, you should be able to get back into Bing and have Copilot working again.