Automatically Update Local Folder with OneDrive Files

Hi,

I've shared a folder with someone and synced it.

In the past, when I've done this, all connected users could see the synced folder on their local OneDrive and access the files locally.

This time, my friend can see the shared folder online and has linked it to their local files. However, in their local OneDrive client (on their hard drive), they can only see a link to the online folder and can't manage the folder or files locally - they can only do so online.

What's going wrong?

Thanks

Your friend might be experiencing an issue with OneDrive’s sync settings. Here’s what could be happening:

The local OneDrive client allows users to choose how they want to handle shared folders. By default, OneDrive only shows a link to the online folder on the recipient’s local machine. This is known as “Files On-Demand,” which conserves space on the local device by not automatically synchronizing the shared folder.

To help your friend access the shared folder locally, they need to adjust the OneDrive settings. Here’s what they can do:

1. Open the OneDrive app on their computer.
  2. Right-click on the shared folder within OneDrive.
  3. Select “Always keep on this device.”
  4. Wait for the folder to fully sync to their local machine. This might take a few minutes depending on the folder’s size and internet connection.

Once they’ve completed these steps, the shared folder should now be fully synchronized on their local OneDrive, allowing them to manage files locally as well as online.

If the issue persists, it’s worth checking if their OneDrive account is set up correctly and they have enough available storage space to sync the folder.