Adding a Phone Number to My Windows Account: A Step-by-Step Guide

Whenever I attempt to add a phone number to my Microsoft account, it fails. The error message I receive is "Try another verification method. That verification method isn't working right now. Please try another method."

Hey there, thanks for sharing this frustrating error message. Adding a phone number to your Microsoft account can seem like a straightforward process, but sometimes it just doesn’t cooperate. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you troubleshoot and fix the issue:

First, Let’s Cover the Basics:

• Make sure your phone number isn’t already linked to another Microsoft account. If it is, you’ll need to remove it from that account before adding it to your current one.
  • Check if your phone number is supported. Microsoft only supports specific phone number types. You can check the supported countries and number types on their website.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Try a Different Verification Method:

• You can try using the text verification method instead of the call verification method or vice versa. Sometimes, switching methods resolves the issue.
  2. Disable Any Blocking Apps or Settings:

• If you have any apps or settings that block unknown numbers or text messages, temporarily disable them. These can interfere with the verification process.
  3. Check Your Phone’s Network:

• Ensure your phone has a stable internet connection and can receive calls or texts. A weak network signal can prevent the verification process from completing.
  4. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies:

• Sometimes, browser cache issues can cause problems. Clear your browser cache and cookies and then try adding the phone number again.
  5. Try Adding the Number from a Different Device or Browser:

• If the issue persists, try adding the phone number from a different device or browser to rule out any local issues.
  6. Contact Microsoft Support:

• If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you can contact Microsoft support for further assistance. They can help you identify the root cause and find a solution.

Remember to stay patient and methodical while troubleshooting. Hopefully, one of these steps will resolve the issue and you’ll be able to add your phone number to your Microsoft account successfully.