Activation Issue with Microsoft 365: Error Code 29

After re-installing Microsoft 365, I'm having trouble activating it. The error message "couldn't update license - error code 29" appears. As a result, I can only view files and can't edit them. How can I resolve this issue?

Hey there, I’m happy to help resolve that pesky Microsoft 365 activation issue.

The “error code 29” usually means there’s a problem with your account’s license. Here’s what you can do:

First, check your account details: Ensure your Microsoft account details, such as your email and password, are correct. You can do this by simply signing out and signing back in. If your details are incorrect, that might be causing the issue.

Clear Microsoft 365 cache: Sometimes, the cache gets corrupted, and clearing it can resolve the issue:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type "%appdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft 365\cache" and press Enter.
  3. Delete all the files in this folder.
  4. Restart Microsoft 365.

Validate your Microsoft 365 subscription: Make sure your subscription is active and you have a valid license. Head over to the Microsoft 365 portal, sign in, and check your subscription status. If you’re not sure about your subscription, you can contact Microsoft support.

Reinstall Microsoft 365 from the official site: If the above steps don’t work, try reinstalling Microsoft 365 from the official Microsoft website. This will ensure you have the latest installer. Uninstall any existing versions first, then follow these steps:

1. Go to the Microsoft 365 download page.
  2. Sign in with your Microsoft account.
  3. Follow the installation instructions.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might want to contact Microsoft support for further assistance. They can provide more detailed help, especially if the problem is specific to your account or subscription.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or if these steps help resolve your issue.