Account Hacked - Recovered with Form, Whats Next?

I recently fell victim to an account theft due to my own carelessness with shared information. Fortunately, I was able to regain access using the hacker's temporary email and changed the password. However, when I tried to add my phone number as a recovery option, I was told I had to wait 30 days. The problem is, the hacker can still block this change since they control the recovery email associated with another account. Moreover, I'm unable to edit any other account information without access to that recovery account.

It's puzzling that there was no 30-day waiting period when my account was initially compromised. Is there a way to ensure I can fully regain control over my account?

Hey there, sorry to hear about your Xbox account getting hacked. Kudos to you for regaining control and taking steps to secure it further.

First, let me clarify why there’s a 30-day wait to add your phone number as a recovery option. This is a security feature to prevent hackers from instantly changing all recovery options, making it harder for you to regain control. The 30-day wait allows you to ensure you’re the legitimate owner before making significant changes.

Here’s what you need to do to fully regain control over your account:

1. Keep a close eye on your account: Monitor your account activity daily to ensure the hacker isn’t making any changes.
  2. Request a new recovery email: Contact Xbox Support and explain your situation. It might take some back-and-forth, but they should help you change the recovery email associated with the other account. This will prevent the hacker from blocking any future changes.
  3. Wait out the 30-day period: Unfortunately, you’ll need to wait for the 30-day lockout period to end before adding your phone number as a recovery option. This ensures the hacker can’t instantly undo your efforts.
  4. Enable two-factor authentication (2FA): Once you’ve added your phone number, set up 2FA. This adds an extra layer of security, making it much harder for hackers to access your account in the future.
  5. Review and update other account information: Double-check all your account settings, including your login credentials, password, and any linked accounts. Change anything that was compromised or could be used to gain access to your account.
  6. Use strong, unique passwords: Make sure to use different, complex passwords for all your accounts, including your Xbox account. Consider using a password manager to keep track of them.
  7. Be cautious with shared information: Remember, sharing sensitive information can lead to account compromises. Be more careful with who you share your details with and keep an eye on your account activity regularly.

By following these steps, you should be able to fully regain control over your Xbox account and prevent future hacking attempts. If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to ask.