Accidentally deleted all files and folders while trying to clear Teams cache 😫

I initially had a problem with Microsoft Teams on my MacBook, but it's nothing compared to the bigger issue I'm facing now. The desktop app wouldn't let me attach files or images.

I searched for a solution in this forum and found a similar problem. A moderator suggested running a command in the terminal, which I did.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue, and instead, it deleted all files on my desktop and in my downloads folder!

I'm desperately hoping there's a way to reverse the damage. I contacted Apple support, but they couldn't help since I didn't have a cloud backup. They recommended reaching out to Microsoft for assistance.

rm -rf~ /library/groupcontainers/ubf8t346g9.com.microsoft.teams

The above code is what I entered into my Mac's terminal. I realize now that I shouldn't have done that, as I don't fully understand coding or technical aspects. Is there any way to recover my files? It's a work computer, and I really need them back. 🙏

Ouch, I feel for you. That must be incredibly frustrating. Let’s get right to it and see if we can recover your files.

The command you entered, <strong>rm -rf ~/library/groupcontainers/ubf8t346g9.com.microsoft.teams</strong>, is a pretty powerful deletion tool. It permanently deletes files without sending them to the trash, so you can’t simply restore them from there. However, there are a few options you can try to recover your files:

Check Your Trash (Just In Case)

1. Open the Trash on your MacBook.
  2. Look for your deleted files and folders. If you find them here, you can right-click and select Put Back to restore them to their original locations.

Utilize Data Recovery Software

1. Install a data recovery tool: I recommend using Disk Drill (free trial available) or EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard (free trial available). Both are reliable and have good success rates.
  2. Run the recovery software: Follow the tool’s instructions to scan your hard drive for deleted files. This process may take some time, depending on the size of your drive.
  3. Select and recover files: Once the scan is complete, browse through the recovered files and select the ones you want to restore. Make sure to save them to an external drive or a different location on your MacBook to avoid overwriting any data.

Contact a Professional Data Recovery Service

If the above methods don’t work, you can consider reaching out to a professional data recovery service like DriveSavers or Gillware Data Recovery. They have specialized tools and expertise to recover data from severely damaged or deleted files. Keep in mind that this option can be expensive.

Prevention for the Future

To avoid similar issues in the future:

• Always back up your important files to an external drive, cloud storage, or both.
  • Use Time Machine (built-in on MacBooks) to create automatic backups.
  • Be cautious when using terminal commands, especially those involving file deletion. Make sure you understand what each command does before running it.

I hope one of these methods helps you recover your files. Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress.