Accidentally created a new account with my phone number, how do I merge it with my original account?

I created a second account to play Minecraft with a friend, as the game required a family setting and my parents were unavailable. In my eagerness, I used my phone number to create the new account with an alternative email. Now, I want to redeem my Microsoft reward points on my main account, but I'm unable to add my phone number. I acknowledge my mistake and apologize for not reading the details carefully when signing up. Please assist me in resolving this issue.

Hey there!

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there, and it’s an easy mistake to make.

To help you out, I’ll walk you through the steps to merge your accounts.

Step 1: Access Your Microsoft Accounts
You’ll need to sign in to both your main account and the new one you created with your phone number.

Step 2: Verify Your Email Address
For the new account, go to the Microsoft account sign-in page and sign in with the alternative email you used. Once you’re signed in, click on your profile picture or username in the top right corner, then select “Your info” from the dropdown menu. Scroll down to the “Account info” section and make sure the alternative email is verified. If it’s not, follow the on-screen instructions to verify it.

Step 3: Add an Alias to Your Main Account
Sign in to your main account and go to the same “Your info” page. Scroll down to the “Account aliases” section and click “Add email.” Enter the alternative email from your new account, and then follow the prompts to verify it.

Step 4: Change the Phone Number Associated with Your New Account
Sign back into your new account and go to the “Your info” page. Scroll down to the “Security” section and click “Update info” next to “Phone number.” Remove your phone number from this account.

Step 5: Add Your Phone Number to Your Main Account
Sign back into your main account and go to the “Your info” page. Scroll down to the “Security” section and click “Update info” next to “Phone number.” Add your phone number to this account.

Step 6: Merge Your Accounts
Now that you’ve added the alternative email to your main account and removed the phone number from your new account, you can merge the accounts. Go to the Microsoft account merge page and follow the instructions. Make sure you sign in with your main account first and then enter the details of your new account.

Step 7: Redeem Your Reward Points
Once your accounts are merged, you should be able to redeem your Microsoft reward points on your main account.

Remember to be patient and follow the steps carefully, as this process might take some time. Good luck, and happy gaming